Henna has been in use as a cosmetic for 9,000 years, and even historical beauties such as Cleopatra are supposed to have worn it.
Originally, henna was used on the feet and palms of desert dwelling people to help them to keep cool in the hot sun. Patterns were developed over time, and henna became popular with poor people who could not decorate their bodies with jewellery, but who used henna patterns instead.
Now, henna is accessible all across the world and is a great accessory to make use of in the summer!
Want to make your own henna paste?
You will need:
- 20g Henna powder – the organic Star Child powder we stock is ideal.
- 7ml of your choice of essential oil: Cajeput, Tea Tree, Lavender, Frankincense, and Cardamom are a few good ones (these contain chemicals that activate the henna and they smell great! Also available in the shop).
- Bottled water at room temperature (you’ll be adding a few spoonfuls at a time to get the consistency right).
- Half a teaspoon of honey (vegan? Try molasses instead).
What to do:
- Mix your dry ingredients together in a metal, glass or plastic bowl (beware, paste may cause discolouration).
- Add water and mix until the henna forms a very thick paste. Don’t worry if your mixture is a bit lumpy, it can be thinned out later.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the mixture absorb the liquid – this will take about fifteen minutes (impatient? Try meditating).
- Add your essential oils and a touch more water. Mix thoroughly, then cover and leave for another fifteen minutes.
- Mix your henna until the lumps are gone – should be roughly the consistency of toothpaste.
- Fill a cake decorating bag two thirds full with henna mixture. Tape shut.
You’re ready to go!
TIPS: thoroughly exfoliate the area you plan to apply the paste to – this helps your design last longer. Plan ahead – henna is best left to dry thoroughly, so that it crumbles from your skin of its own accord. This can take hours! If you’re in a hurry, use a hairdryer to speed up the process. Always do a sensitivity test 48 hours before applying to a large area.
Don’t want to mix your own paste? No problem, we sell ready made cones!