Do you suffer in summer due to hayfever? Allergies to pollen can really put a dampner on enjoying the brief British sunshine, so why not try these natural remedies for hayfever so that you can get back outside and breathe easy!
Essential Oils to Use:
- Lavender, Geranium, Peppermint or Roman Chamomile to heal, balance and soothe hayfever symptoms (please note: geranium should be avoided by pregnant or nursing mothers).
- Camphor, Eucalyptus, Pine, Rosemary or Lemon – to decongest and clear the airways.
- Juniper and Tea Tree are also beneficial for hayfever.
Choose three essential oils from the list (recommendation – one from each bullet point).
How to use the oils.
- Add two drops of each oil to a handkerchief or tissue; sniff whenever you are out and about (especially before and after sneezing).
- Fill a spray bottle with distilled water such as bottled water, or for an extra holistic hit, use rose or chamomile flower water. Add three drops each of your essential oils to the bottle. Shake thoroughly before each use and spray around your home to help combat your reaction to allergens in the air. Tip: use lavender essential oil and rose water for a spray especially for your bedroom to help you sleep at night (avoid citrus oils, as these invigorate).
- Add a few drops of each oil to the water of an oil burner. Use at home or at work.
- Add your essential oils to a base oil (such as olive or coconut). Use this mixture as a chest rub to help you to breathe easier.
Would you like more advice about essential oils and their uses? Pop into the shop on a Thursday afternoon and speak to June, our resident aromatherapist!