Ear candling is a natural therapy and was used by many cultures since ancient times for spiritual cleansing, purification and healing.
The Native American Hopi Indians of Arizona ( Hopi means ‘Peaceful’), used this traditional practice.
Their use of Ear Candles in both therapy and initiations is documented through wall and cave paintings.
Today, Hopi Ear Candling or ‘ Thermo Auricular Therapy’, is widely used by therapists as a more natural and traditional way to relieve the problems of decreased hearing due to a build up of ear wax.
What Conditions May be Helped?
- Build up of Ear Wax
- Migraines / Headaches
- Sore throat
- Hay Fever
When To Avoid Using Ear Candle Therapy?
If you have:
- A perforated ear drum
- Fever / High Temperature
- Heavy cold
- Inflammation or infection of the ear
- Eczema or Dermatitis
- A skin or scalp infection
- A recent head or neck injury
Or, if you are:
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- In the first 12 weeks of pregnancy
- Allergic to any of the candle ingredients including: Beeswax, Bee stings, honey, sage, St John’s Wort
Chamomile, Lavender, Vitamin A,
The Olive Tree recommends that,once you have purchased our Hopi Ear Candles, you use them on a regular basis and always with assistance.
If you are in any doubt about the suitability of using them then please consult your GP or a qualified practitioner.
If you are using them for the first time you may prefer to have an initial session with a qualified practitioner.
The Olive Tree thanks June O’Rourke Lowe (The Bodhi Healing: email: [email protected])
So, how do ear candles work?
Firstly the ear candle is placed in the ear! Importantly it must fit snugly so that no oxygen can enter the candle or the ear.
When the candle is lit, the rising air column inside the candle begins to heat up. As the candle burns down, the rising air within the candle creates a very gentle suction effect which helps to loosen any debris and compacted ear wax inside the ear.
The ear drum is gently massaged by this action and this affects the structures of the middle and inner ear which in turn are also gently massaged.
The combined heat and hydrating effects of the vapours help to soften and loosen compacted ear wax.
After treatment, the ear wax may be expelled from the ear, naturally, for up to 48 hours after treatment.
- Drink plenty of water to help remove toxins
- Relax quietly after treatment
- Try to avoid stress
- The ears may be sensitive following treatment so avoid draughts and cold winds
- Protect the ears, if swimming, and keep them free from water for at least 6 hours
- Aim to have regular treatments to keep the ears and upper respiratory tract free from congestion.